A. About the artwork
1. Are all editions that Subject Matter sell limited?
2. What is a limited edition?
A limited edition is a series of art prints that are limited in number. Our edition sizes vary from 1 to 75. Once the edition is sold out, we destroy the file and new prints will not be produced in those sizes ever again. Small editions make work more exclusive and are often more expensive.
3. Are limited editions signed?
Yes - there is a signed certificate of authenticity, which we print on sticker paper so you can affix it to the back of the work.
4. What is the certificate of authenticity?
The certificate includes the original signature of the artist with the date and edition details of your purchased work. This protects the artist’s work and provides assurance of the work's authenticity and value.
5. How do I look after my art?
To clean your framed piece, follow these dos and don’ts:
- DO remove dust by blowing on it;
- DO NOT use your hand or a dry cloth to remove dust;
- DO clean by using a small amount of mild soap or detergent mixed with lukewarm water. Use a clean, soft cloth or sponge. Dry by blotting gently with a lint-free cloth. Instead of soap, you can also use a cleaner designed for acrylic surfaces;
- DO NOT use a household cleaner like Windex or products that contain ammonia;
- DO NOT use any abrasive material while cleaning your plexiglass, as it can scratch the surface.
B. Shipping, Delivery, Returns and Payment:
1. Do you accept international orders?
Yes. We ship worldwide. We hate hidden costs, so at Subject Matter all our prices include shipping fees. Artworks ship within 3-4 weeks (but if you want the piece sooner we will have to charge a small fee).
2. How much does shipping cost?
All shipping is free of charge.
3. What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Paypal and bank transfer. Simply go to check out and choose your preferred method of payment.
Buying art online can be challenging, so we offer free returns on all artworks. If you decide the artwork is not quite right for your space, please get in touch with us within 14 days and we will accept your return. You will be refunded for the full cost of the artwork but return shipping costs will need to be covered by you.
If the work is faulty or damaged, please email email@example.com with photos of the problem and we will advise you of next steps.
1. I made an error when I submitted the order, what do I do?
Don’t worry if you made an error with a delivery address or contact number. Simply reply to the order confirmation form that you received after you placed your order, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. I changed my mind and no longer want the piece. Now what?
To ensure speedy delivery our orders go into production within two working days from the day your order was placed, so if you want to cancel your order within this period simply email us at email@example.com. We will send you a refund immediately. If it is after two days your order might already be in production but email us anyway to let us know and we’ll see what we can do!
D. About Subject Matter Art Ltd
1. What is your business model?
We share the profits with our artists 50/50, and we share production costs 50/50 also.
2. How did the business start?
The business started in May 2011, with the desire to make art buying easy and accessible. Initially, we had a gallery in Tokyo, before building our online presence. Our business is registered in the UK.
3. Where are you currently based?
We are currently based in London, Kuala Lumpur, and also have a subsidiary office in Johannesburg.
4. Why online and not a gallery?
We had galleries in Tokyo for 4 years (view our previous exhibitions here) and it was a wonderful experience. However, we want to make art buying as easy and accessible as possible, and we feel that the best way to do that is online. Nevertheless, over the past 3 years we've had exhibitions in London, Montreal, Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo and we will continue with pop up shows in the future.
Please join our mailing list if you want to stay informed: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Artists' Submissions
We are always on the lookout for new talent. Please send your artwork (small files only, 1000px max) to email@example.com. If you have not heard back from us make sure to follow up as we may not have received it. We always respond to each and every submission, but we are busy people and it may not be immediate!
E. Collaborations and Partnerships
We love collaborating and we are always on the lookout for new partners. We have worked with partners in Japan, US, Canada and the UK.
- Unfold : We curated 17 artists for this art festival during Frieze Week in London
- Africa Calling : An exhibition in the Southbank centre showcasing artists from the African continent
- Royal College of Art : Annual student training program and exhibition in the Dyson Gallery in London
- Ultra Super New : Pop up gallery in USN creative agency in Tokyo
- Le Meridien : Pop up exhibition in the international hotel group in Montreal
- Found by Maja : An art series developed for a home boutique in San Francisco
- Edit Twenty : An art series developed for a concept store in Singapore
- NORR11: Pop up gallery in their South Molton Street showroom in London
F. Giving back
- We are very passionate about our fair business model - with every sale half of the profit goes directly to the artist.
- We started a fundraising initiative called My Japan, raising funds for those affected by the earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011. We have raised and donated more than $30 000 to the Japan Emergency Network (JEN NPO). More details here.