A. About the artwork
1. Are all editions that Subject Matter sell limited?
Yes if you are buying a photograph or a print; if it is a painting or collage then it is a unique piece. All Kind Commissions are unique artworks, made especially for you.
2. What is a limited edition?
A limited edition is a series of art prints that are limited in number. Our edition sizes vary depending on the artwork. Once the edition is sold out, we destroy the file and new prints will not be produced in those sizes ever again. Small editions make work more exclusive and are often more expensive.
3. Are limited editions signed?
Yes - a certificate of authenticity is signed by the artist. It is printed on sticker paper so you can affix it to the back of the work.
4. What is the certificate of authenticity?
The certificate includes the original signature of the artist with the date and edition details of your purchased work. This protects the artist’s work and provides assurance of the work's authenticity and value.
5. How do I look after my framed artwork?
- DO remove dust by blowing on it;
- DO NOT use your hand or a dry cloth to remove dust;
- DO clean by using a small amount of mild soap or detergent mixed with lukewarm water. Use a clean, soft cloth or sponge. Dry by blotting gently with a lint-free cloth. Instead of soap, you can also use a cleaner designed for acrylic surfaces;
- DO NOT use a household cleaner like Windex or products that contain ammonia;
- DO NOT use any abrasive material, as it can scratch the surface of the glass.
B. Shipping, Delivery, Returns and Payment:
1. Do you accept international orders?
Yes. We ship worldwide and we try to cover the shipping costs for most artworks, it's only with the Kind Commissions that we have to add shipping costs at checkout.
2. What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Paypal and Klarna. Simply go to check out and choose your preferred method of payment.
Buying art online can be challenging, so we offer free returns on all artworks. If you decide the artwork is not quite right for your space, please get in touch with us within 14 days and we will accept your return. You will be refunded for the full cost of the artwork but return shipping costs will need to be covered by you.
If the work is faulty or damaged, please email email@example.com with photos of the problem and we will advise you of next steps.
1. I made an error when I submitted the order, what do I do?
Don’t worry if you made an error with a delivery address or contact number. Simply reply to the order confirmation form that you received after you placed your order, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. I changed my mind and no longer want the piece. Now what?
To ensure speedy delivery our orders go into production within two working days from the day your order was placed, so if you want to cancel your order within this period simply email us at email@example.com. We will send you a refund immediately. If it is after two days your order might already be in production but email us anyway to let us know and we’ll see what we can do!
D. About Subject Matter Art
1. What is your business model?
We deduct all direct costs from the sale price and then split the remainder 50/50 with the artist. This means that we share costs with the artist too - so artists don't have to cover all their fabrication costs out of their share.
2. How did the business start?
The business started in May 2011, with the desire to make art buying easy and accessible. Initially, we had a gallery in Tokyo, before building our online presence. Our business is registered in the UK.
3. Where are you currently based?
We are currently based in London and Shenzhen.
4. Why online and not a gallery?
We had galleries in Tokyo for 4 years and it was a wonderful experience. However, we want to make art buying as easy and accessible as possible, and we feel that the best way to do that is online. Nevertheless, over the past 5 years we've had exhibitions in London, Montreal, Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo and we will continue with pop up shows in the future.
5. Artists' Submissions
We are always on the lookout for new talent. Please send your artwork (small files only, 1000px max) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not heard back from us make sure to follow up as we may not have received it. We always respond to each and every submission, but we are busy people and it may not be immediate!
E. Collaborations and Partnerships
We love collaborating and we are always on the lookout for new partners. We have worked with partners in Japan, US, Canada and the UK.
- Holding Space : Featuring 9 female artists in Subject Matter co-curator Kitty's home, this exhibition brought a post-lockdown smile to our faces.
- We See You, We Hear You : The Hospital Club in London asked us to curate an exhibition in their gallery, we obliged with 15 women artists! Our first, but certainly not last, all-female show.
- Unfold : We curated 17 artists for this art festival during Frieze Week in London
- Africa Calling : An exhibition in the Southbank centre showcasing artists from the African continent
- Royal College of Art : Annual student training program and exhibition in the Dyson Gallery in London
- Ultra Super New : Pop up gallery in USN creative agency in Tokyo
- Le Meridien : Pop up exhibition in the international hotel group in Montreal
- Edit Twenty : An art series developed for a concept store in Singapore
- NORR11: Pop up gallery in their South Molton Street showroom in London
F. Giving back
- £10 from every purchase of a Kind Commission is donated to TERN (The Entrepreneurial Refugee Network).
- When you buy a One Euro Sculpture artwork, all profits are donated to charity. Subject Matter and the artist make no profit at all from these works.
- We started a fundraising initiative called My Japan, raising funds for those affected by the earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011. We have raised and donated more than $30 000 to the Japan Emergency Network (JEN NPO). More details here.
Any more questions? Please just email Liezel or Kitty - email@example.com.